Australia Labels Iran’s Revolutionary Guard a Terrorist Organisation

BYYasir Rehman


33
Photo courtesy: AAP/Mick Tsikas

Three months after expelling Iranian Ambassador, the Australian government has formally listed Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) as a terrorist organisation, holding it directly responsible for orchestrating two deadly attacks on Jewish communities in Sydney and Melbourne last year.

The announcement was made on Thursday by Foreign Minister Penny Wong, alongside Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke and Attorney-General Michelle Rowland, following an assessment by the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO).

“Iran’s attacks were unprecedented and dangerous acts of aggression orchestrated by a foreign nation on Australian soil, which is why we are listing the IRGC as a state sponsor of terrorism,” Senator Wong stated. “It has no place in Australia.”

The government’s decision is a direct response to the ASIO-backed finding that the IRGC planned the October 2024 firebombing of Lewis’ Continental Kitchen in Sydney and the December 2024 assault on the Adass Israel Synagogue in Melbourne. The ministers described the attacks as “cowardly” acts designed to “sow division in our multicultural society” and “stoke fear” among Jewish Australians.

To enable this listing, the government passed the Criminal Code Amendment (State Sponsors of Terrorism) Act 2025, creating a new legal framework to counter state-sponsored terrorism. The IRGC is the first entity to be listed under this new law.

“Listing of the IRGC is in direct response to the despicable actions of the Iranian Government, and further empowers our police, security, and intelligence agencies to stamp out hatred and violence,” said Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke.

The listing carries severe legal consequences. Under Part 5.3A of the Criminal Code, it is now a criminal offence to direct, be a member of, recruit for, train with, or provide funds or support to the IRGC. These offences are punishable by penalties of up to 25 years imprisonment.

“These reforms make it more difficult, more risky, and more costly for malicious foreign actors to seek to cause Australia and our community harm,” Attorney-General Michelle Rowland said.

The government emphasised that the step serves as both a powerful deterrent and a disruption tool against terrorist activity, while also putting the public on notice about the illegal nature of any dealings with the IRGC.

Iran Condemns “Baseless” Accusations

In a swift reaction, the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs has vehemently condemned Australia’s decision, calling it “an irresponsible, provocative, and baseless accusation” instigated by “Zionist lobby groups.”

In a statement released via state media, a ministry spokesman said, “The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps is an official and foundational branch of Iran’s armed forces, responsible for safeguarding national security. This illegitimate designation is a hostile act against the sovereignty of Iran and a violation of international law.”

In a statement, Iran’s foreign ministry said the designation, made by Australia on Thursday, was “illegal, unjustifiable, and in violation of international rules and norms that safeguard a state’s sovereignty,” arguing that Australia’s decision rested on “completely false and fabricated accusations by the security institutions of the Zionist regime,” referring to Israel.

The statement further warned that the move would “severely damage bilateral relations” and promised “a proportional and decisive response” to what it termed an “insult to the Iranian nation.”

Despite Tehran’s condemnation, the Australian government has stood firm. Minister Wong concluded, “The Albanese Government has taken stronger action on Iran than any previous Australian government and will continue to work to keep Australians safe.”

The public is urged to report any suspicious activity to the National Security Hotline on 1800 123 400.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments